Tuesday, March 20, 2012

COOK AND PAN POLISH DELI

When I left the prairies one of the things I missed most was homemade Ukrainian/Polish food.   I grew up in a region of Alberta where a lot of Ukrainians had settled. I was lucky enough to be introduced to their hearty fare.  When it’s -40 outside, there is nothing like a bowl of homemade borsht to thaw out with! 

Imagine how happy I was to find the Cook and Pan Polish Delicatessen nestled right in my Fernwood hood!  It might not be 40 below here in Victoria but when the sky is grey and my mood with it, its nice to know I can still warm up with a bowl of borsht and a plate of cabbage rolls and homemade perogies.

Cook and Pan offers great options for eating in as well as take out.  I usually steer towards the Polish specialty menu, which offers combo plates with your choice of Polish sausage, perogies, cabbage rolls, and borsht or the soup of the day.  They also make a killer breakfast (served all day!) As a matter of fact, this is a great place to placate a hangover incurred the night before at the neighboring Logan’s bar.  Try the Canadian - two eggs, two pancakes, pan fries, Polish bacon or sausage and toast. The herbed pan fries are excellent.   

Cook and Pan have their wonderful perogies available for take out by the dozen. Yes, they are a little more expensive than Cheemo brand but these are so much better tasting!  The dough is tender and the fillings are very flavourful.  Choose between cheddar and potato, cottage cheese and potato, sauerkraut and mushroom or sauerkraut and beef.   The cabbage rolls are very popular and often sell out.  They make a vegetarian version for those that don't do meat.   Try some of the Polish sausage, available in the deli case.  I’ll be back to Cook and Pan soon to warm my belly and bolster my resolve on those days when March is more lion than lamb!



  
Cook N' Pan Polish Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment